Notepad++ is a free (as in “free speech” and also as in “free beer”) source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed by GPL License.
Based on the powerful editing component Scintilla, Notepad++ is written in C++ and uses pure Win32 API and STL which ensures a higher execution speed and smaller program size. By optimizing as many routines as possible without losing user friendliness, Notepad++ is trying to reduce the world carbon dioxide emissions. When using less CPU power, the PC can throttle down and reduce power consumption, resulting in a greener environment.
This project is mature. However, there may be still some bugs and missing features that are being worked on. If you have any questions or suggestions about this project, please post them in the forums. Also, if you wish to make a feature request, you can post it there as well. But there’s no guarantee that I’ll implement your request.
You’re encouraged to translate Notepad++ into your native tongue if there’s not already a translation present in the Binary Translations page. And if you want, help translating Notepad++ official site into your native tongue would be greatly appreciated.
- Syntax Highlighting and Syntax Folding
- User Defined Syntax Highlighting
- Regular Expression Search/Replace supported
- Full Drag ‘N’ Drop supported
- Dynamic position of Views
- File Status Auto-detection
- Zoom in and zoom out
- Multi-Language environment supported
- Brace and Indent guideline Highlighting
- Macro recording and playback
- Fix new style save dialog by selecting right file filter and adding extension automatically.
- Add right-click context menu to bookmark margin.
- Add sub-menu bullets for cascaded Encoding and Language menus.
- Display file name as root of workspace instead of “Workspace”.
- Add file extension automatically for session files and workspace files while saving in new style dialog.
- Fix file reading failure (network problem) not detected issue.
- Improve Document Map precision.
- Fix clickable links break syntax highlighting issue.
- Fix current range detached from Document Map issue.
- Disallow backward regex searches due to sometimes surprising results (an non-UI option is available to enable it).
- Fix wrong project panel at start by opening a project via command line.
- Allow user to skip *.* when adding only excluding Filters for Find/Replace In Files.
- Fix Doc switcher icon state update issue for cloned documents.
- Assign CTRL-M as default shortcut for invoking mark dialog.
- Fix also a folding visual glitch in Find result.
- Add count of files searched to ‘Find result’ output.
- Fix Find/Replace history lost issue.
- Fix bug of Mark clearing in selection mode.
- Fix auto-completion suggest the same word while the word being modified.