Start a project
You’ll find all the projects you’re working on listed in the sidebar. If you’re starting a new project, use the repository drop down menu to create a new repository or clone an existing one directly from GitHub.com.
Branches are essential to proposing changes and reviewing code on GitHub—and they’re always available in the top left corner of the repository view. Just select the current branch to switch branches or create a new one.
Craft the perfect commit
View a diff of your uncommitted changes, and form the perfect commit by selecting the files—or even the specific lines—that make up a change. Enter the summary and description, then commit.
See your history
Visualize your changes and commits in the comparison graph. You can select commits on the graph to navigate through the history of your local branches.
Create a pull request
Once you’re happy with your commits, you can open a pull request for review and discussion without leaving GitHub Desktop or touching the command line.
Merge and deploy
Browse commits on local and remote branches to quickly and clearly see what changes still need to be merged. You can also merge your code to the master branch for deployment right from the app.
- Fixed: Prevent autocomplete suggestions from overlapping when loading many results – #9474
- Fixed: Update embedded Git to address security vulnerability
- Improved: Redesign metadata shown in commit history – #9428
- Fixed Don’t display erroneous Git error when creating a fork – #9004
- Fixed Remove stray characters from Git progress indicators on Windows – #9003
- NEW Prompt users to create a fork if they fail to push to a GitHub repository due to permissions – #8548
- Added Show link to upstream pull requests in pull request list of a fork – #8965
- Added Show a warning if the user doesn’t have write access to push to the repository and offer to make a fork – #8938
- Added Provide configuration in Preferences to always bring or leave changes when switching branches – #7746
- Added Prompt users to re-authorize if required by any of their GitHub organizations – #8910
- Added Support GoLand as external editor on Mac – #8802. Thanks @thinklinux!
- Fixed Show proper dialog when push fails due to missing workflow scope – #8958
- Fixed Take users to the correct page on GitHub.com when opening a pull request in browser from a fork – #8928
- Fixed Don’t suggest creating a pull request if the current branch has an open pull request targeting an upstream repo – #8549
- Fixed Remove false branch protection warning when switching branches – #8743
- Fixed Show branch protection warning after checking out protected branches outside Desktop – #8790
- Improved Only show branch protection warning when changed files are present – #8795
- Improved Show an error when editing a Git configuration file fails due to existing lock file – #8956
- Improved Update design and layout for GitHub Desktop preferences – #8774